- Community Development
City Hall and the Permit Counter are open Monday – Thursday, 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM. Appointments with Building and Planning Division staff are recommended. Staff also process electronic submittals. Contact information follows:
ADU Ordinance Update: The City’s updated ADU ordinance is in effect. It is being codified for the Municipal Code. Until that is complete, please use this link for the ADU ordinance: Accessory Dwelling Unit Ordinance May 2022 (PDF)
Planning Inquiries and Permits: Call (650) 726-8270 for an appointment or to leave a message for a Planner.
Public Hearings: Public hearings are being conducted via virtual meeting formats with the Planning Commission and Community Development Director. Sign up to receive agendas here.
Among the many responsibilities of the Planning Division staff is Plan Half Moon Bay, which is the City’s Local Coastal Program and General Plan Update process. Other task areas include:
- Processing entitlement applications
- Local administration of the California Subdivision Map Act, California Environmental Quality Act, and the California Coastal Act
- Conserving and enhancing the City’s environmental resources and scenic beauty
- Preserving Half Moon Bay's historic resources and small town heritage
- Managing the community’s growth, incorporating community values and standards
- Enforcing the policies and regulations related to land use and development
- Administering the General Plan, and the Local Coastal Program, its Land Use Plan, Specific Plans, Zoning Code, and its Subdivision and Sign Ordinances, and provisions of Measure ‘D’ - the voter-adopted residential growth control ordinance
- Maintaining studies and reports on such topics as demographics, environmental review, and development entitlement activities