- Community Development
- Current Planning
The Current Planning function focuses on project review. In accordance with the California Coastal Act, many different types of projects require Coastal Development Permits. Coastal Development Permit review is conducted concurrently with other planning permits that may be required for each proposal. Examples of Planning Permits include Variances, Use Permits, Sign Permits, Subdivisions, and Tree Removal Permits.
Upon receipt of a completed application, the Planning Division will route the project plans and materials to appropriate City Agencies (Public Works, City Engineer, Building Department), Local Agencies (Police, Coastside Fire Protection District, Coastside County Water District, and Sewer Authority Mid-Coastside), and regional, state or federal agencies for their review and comment.
All of these permits are crucial for protection of our environment, the public health and safety, and for enhancing our community. The staff working on Current Planning issues provides customer service at City Hall as part of the Community Development (Building & Planning) service team along with the Public Works-Engineering Department. Their scope is substantial, focused on protecting and preserving the City’s built and natural environments, and includes:
- Initiating projects and programs, implementing the Local Coastal Program, General Plan, and Zoning Ordinance Amendments, preparation of design guidelines
- Administering land use regulations including the Zoning (Title 18), Signs (Title 15), and Subdivision (Title 17) ordinances of the Half Moon Bay Municipal Code
- Overseeing environmental review in relation to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), preparation of environmental impact determinations and environmental impact reports, and coordination with other local, State, and Federal agencies
- Coordinating project review with appropriate City agencies, local agencies, and regional, State or Federal agencies
- Preparing applications for consideration by the City Council, Planning Commission, and/or the Community Development Director
- Zoning Map
Looking for your project, or another project that's in process? The City maintains a tracking/status report for projects that are currently under review by the Planning Division.
Planning DivisionPhysical Address
501 Main Street
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Phone: : 650-726-8270