The City of Half Moon Bay is OPEN for business!
RECENT UPDATE (May 19, 2020):
While City facilities are currently closed until May 31, 2020 in response to the San Mateo County Health Officer’s updated COVID-19 Shelter Order, helpful info on County Health Ordinance site, County Health FAQs. Community Development Department employees are working from home and in the field. We are readily available via email to continue accepting and processing applications for Building and Planning Permits and to answer questions, see below.
We wish you all healthy regards and look forward to seeing you at City Hall soon!
While the initial Shelter Orders were in place, we continued to process applications for Building Permits to help ready permits for issuance and plan review. And now, we can also issue new permits and allow for construction to resume. Regarding new permits and ongoing construction, the following options are available to you:
1. New over the counter/minor permits submittals: For over the counter building permits and those that require minor plan review and coordination with other departments, such as: reroofing, window replacement, water and furnace heater replacement, bathroom and kitchen remodels, electric, plumbing, mechanical permits and others, submit your application and plan sets via email to Benjamin Corrales, email@example.com.
2. New Residential/Commercial, interdepartmental plan review: For brand new submittals please contact Benjamin Corrales at (650) 712-6660 or send him an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set up an appointment.
3. Completed Projects: If your project is complete, inform the City that you are no longer working and will need a final inspection. Please call our Hotline Inspection phone number (650) 726-8794, at least 48 hours in advance to allow preparations for an in-person tour of the new structure. Phone messages are retrieved every morning.
4. Projects under construction: Prior to calling for an inspection, be sure that your COVID-19 Social Distancing Protocols are up-to-date and posted on site, we are conducting remote/virtual inspections only, please call our Hotline Inspection phone number (650-726-8794. The day of the inspection be prompt with photos or videos, email them to our Inspector at email@example.com. In addition, COVID-19 Protocols should be updated and posted on site.
5. Permit fees payment: All related permit fees will be made via check, made payable to City of Half Moon Bay, addressing the envelope to the attention of Benjamin Corrales, and indicating the Building Permit number in the check. The City of Half Moon Bay is working diligently to find out more online/phone payment options. We will update you as options become available.
NOTE: For any work associated with #3 or #4 above, a “Social Distancing Protocol” plan in conformance with the Shelter Order must be posted at the work site
If you have specific questions about these matters, please contact Benjamin Corrales, Permit Technician (650-712-6660), or Joe Butcher,Community Preservation Specialist (650-726-8285, or Farris Hix, Building and Public Works Inspector, (650) 750-2006
To help protect the health and safety of the community, the Building Division enforces regulations related to building, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical installations; accessibility; and energy compliance. In the event of an emergency or disaster, it is also the Division's responsibility to perform damage assessments of all structures. Click here for more detailed information about applying for a permit.
- Do I need a permit?
- Who may apply for a permit?
- How do I apply for a permit?
- How much will it cost?
- Are construction plans required?
- What kind of plans are required?
- How many copies of the plans do I need?
- When is a Building Permit not required?
- What do I need to submit for a bathroom or kitchen remodel?
- Do I need a permit for a fence?
- How high can I build my fence?
- Do I need a permit for a shed?
- When am I required to pay school fees for my project?
- Do I need an Architect or Engineer?
- What information is required on drawings?