Prepare for Flooding
WHEN FLOODING IS PREDICTED
- In addition to the preparedness page, fill Sandbags to protect your property at the City fill in station.
- 110 Higgins Canyon Road Half Moon Bay CA 94019 .
- Often the best option is to shelter in place at home and to stay off the roads until the situation is safe.
- Keep storm drains in your neighborhood clear to prevent backups.
- Call Half Moon Bay Public Works Maintenance at 650.726.7177 for significant blocking.
- After 5pm, call the Sheriff's dispatch at 650.726.8286.
- Consider flood insurance if you are in the flood zone - View FEMA's Flood Insurance Rate Maps.
- Regular homeowner's insurance policies usually don't cover flood damage.
- Monitor weather updates.
- Make sure your family and pets are safe - if there is time, move valuable household possessions off the floor.
- Be ready to evacuate if directed by emergency personnel.
- Avoid flood waters: Six inches of water will reach the bottom of most passenger cars.
- Disable utilities - If your property is in imminent danger of flooding, you may need to shut off your gas and electricity for safety.
- Visit PG&E online for information about how to do this.
- If you smell natural gas, see downed power lines, or suspect another power-related emergency situation, call 9-1-1 and then call PG&E at 1-800-743-5000.
- Do not touch any electrical equipment unless it is in a dry area and you are standing on a piece of dry wood while wearing rubber gloves and rubber soled boots or shoes.
- Downed trees
- Call the Sheriff’s non-emergency dispatch line at 650-363-4911.
- Any life threatening issues should be reported to 9-1-1.