Carter Park Improvements
Carter Park Improvements Groundbreaking Ceremony
Thursday, May 19, 2022 – 11:00 AM
Carter Park, Stone Pine Road at Main Street, Half Moon Bay
(parking is available nearby at Mariners Church, 100 Stone Pine Road; please consider carpooling, biking, or walking to this event)
- City Council Awarded a construction contract for Carter Park Renovation Project on Tuesday, April 19, the selected contractor, Wickman Development and Construction, will be working with the City Public Works Department to renovate and reconstruct Carter Park.
- The project includes a new amphitheater with terraced seating, a new stage with storage space and changing room, a children’s play area, picnic area, restroom and concession stand building, park access improvements, solidarity trail, landscaping, stage lighting and audio/visual equipment, park entrance signage, and utility improvements.
- Mobilization and demolition are scheduled to begin in Summer of 2022 with construction anticipated to continue through Spring of 2023. Please note that the schedule will be highly contingent on weather, especially given the proximity of Pilarcitos Creek, and potential supply chain issues for construction related materials.
- Donation opportunities are still available for three specific project elements that are not currently included in the project:
- children’s play equipment,
- stage lighting and audio/visual equipment, and
- park entrance sign.
- You can submit donations here
Previous Project Updates:
- Planning Commission provided CEQA review, adopted the Mitigated Negative Declaration, and approved the CDP earlier this year
- Total project costs are estimated at $6.36M
- California’s State Budget for Fiscal Year 2021-2022, approved on June 28, includes $4.75 million for major renovations and improvements to Half Moon Bay’s John L. Carter Memorial Park
- The State funding, which makes this project a reality, is thanks to Assemblymember Marc Berman who persevered for the last few years to ensure the State budget included an allocation for Carter Park.
- This funding now allows the project to start construction by Summer 2022, with anticipated completion Spring 2023. Without State funding, it is unclear when the City would have been able to fund and construct the project.
- Now, that community vision for Carter Park is very near to coming to fruition. We can all look forward to a groundbreaking event this winter, and a grand opening of the renovated and improved John L. Carter Memorial Park in the next year!
Project Description: The Parks Master Plan identified John L. Carter Memorial Park as an opportunity to create a more actively utilized space by adding improvements to facilitate greater opportunities for performances and day camps. The purpose of this project is to develop a long‐term plan for the site and identify projects that may be completed in the near-term to improve the site.
Project Status: Pre-Construction Phase. The City is almost ready to start!
Funding Source: California State Budget and General Fund (With support from the State and private fundraising)
- 2022.04.19 - CARTER PARK PRESENTATION
- 2022.04.19 - CARTER PARK STAFF REPORT
- Current Capital Improvement Program
*Project Renderings courtesy of ELS Architecture and Urban Design