- Congestion and Traffic Reduction
Congestion and Traffic Reduction
Transportation accounts for 42% of the Half Moon Bay's community greenhouse gas emissions in 2017. Most of those emissions come from gas-powered vehicles. Every trip counts and reducing single-rider car trips is one of the most effective ways you can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions to combat climate change. The City encourages residents and visitors to drive electric vehicles, carpool, bike, walk or take public transportation whenever possible. To get started, check out some of our resources below.
Carpooling and Public Transportation
SamTrans: principal public transit and transportation programs, including bus and shuttle routes in San Mateo County.
Commute.org: Information and commute planning assistants for employees, employers, and city transportation demand management partnerships. Get rewarded for carpooling, biking/walking to work or using public transportation.
- Ride match planner
- Commuter incentives and rewards
- Guaranteed rides in the event of an emergency or qualifying circumstance (up to $60 per trip 4x per year)
- Commuter shuttles
511: Phone and web resource for Bay Area traffic, transit, carpool, vanpool and bicycling information. Free and available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Ride match tool
- Financial incentives for qualified vanpools up to $350 per month including empty seat subsidies, free bridge tolls, and discounted parking.
Electric Vehicles (EVs)
- Bay Area SunShares provides discounts on residential solar and electric vehicles with collective buying power. Registration open September through November.
- Peninsula Clean Energy
- Rebates for new EV purchases in October - November
- Rebates up to $4000 for used EV purchases for income qualified residents
- Schedule an at-home test drivefrom various EV dealerships
- Rent an EV for free or 2-3 days, up to $200
- Financial incentives and free technical assistance for charging stations at your workplace, condo or apartment building
- Plug Share to find EV charging stations or plan a road trip
Bicycling and Walking
- Silicon Valley Bike Coalition, a non-profit and volunteer organization with many resources, including bike education classes to help you bike in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.
- Essentials of bike parking
- Bike expert blog with tips on how to bike safely
- Bike safety guide from TripBuzz
- 511 Bike Mapper to plan ahead and find easier and safer bike routes
- Bikes on Public Transportation